Hope you are all doing great.  For some of you school has started and for some of you there is still a few weeks left of summer. I have had a busy summer with lots of fun, travel and lots of work.  We were finally able to do the quilting and the last details of the uniform quilt I have been working on and I was really happy with the results.

The quilting was time-consuming as we had to do “cut outs” to get around the thicker areas of the uniforms.  As I tell my students and anyone who will listen you can use pretty much anything in a quilt, but if you are going to have it quilted you need to talk to the person quilting it to know if they will be able to deal with the extra thick areas.  I have a Gammill Statler Stitcher and we are able to stop and start the stitching in certain areas so it doesn’t go over bulky areas.  Sometimes no matter how much bulk you remove from a garment it still is too thick for a quilting needle to go over it.  Many of these garments were thick wool which made it difficult to get some areas flat enough. I removed the patches and chevrons from the uniforms so we didn’t have to go around them which made the quilting a bit easier.

Once we got the quilting done I had to sew the patches and chevrons I took off back on.  In order to do this and not totally kill my fingers I used a curved needle and a round thimble.  It worked great. Any thimble will do. The object is to protect your fingers as you’re pushing the needle through the thick patches and material.

These pictures show the sleeve quilted with the chevron in place and the curved needle with round thimble. Here are a few photos of the sleeves with the chevrons sewn on,This is a picture of an army uniform with the patches.  Some I took off and some I kept on.After all the patches were replaced I had some extra patches and epaulets the client had given me so I designed the label to accommodate what was left.  It is a large label but since the quilt is king size there was no problem having a label that big.  I did apply some SoftFuse to the back of the label to hold it more securely than just doing the stitching around the side.Here is the final quilt.  The client loved it which makes all the hard work worth it.

This quilt is an example of how you don’t have to cut all your uniforms up in order to put them in a quilt. I love how you see each uniform as it was not just in pieces.   Hope these pictures and tips give you some ideas for your own uniform quilts.

I would love to see pictures of the quilts you have all made and are working on. Please feel free to share.

Until next time, Happy Quilting and Happy Memories, Trish

Advertisements